If you wish this site to continue, consider a donation to ensure it's accurate completion.
(Credit cards or PayPal may be used by clicking on the "Donate" icon in the Navigation section to your left.
See: Tavistock Unmatched Imprints
Samuel G Aselstine of Woodstock <?-Oct 1906-?>
W I Becker - Sep 1903 -> 1905
Noah Cress - Oct 1905
Moses DeLaFranier - Aug 1903 -> Sep 1903
William Elliott July 1891 -?>
H A Elliott 1891
J A Flood July 1884 -?>
Arthur R Hollefreund c1920
George F Maitland - May 1909 -?> (Thursdays)
Adrian O Murray - (Mar -> Jul 1896) -> May 25 1903
Alfred Spinks Dec 21, 1892 (Wednesdays) -?>
John C Sutherland -> May 1894 -> 1896
It's impossible to state when Tavistock's photo history actually began because of the lack of early records, but the earliest imprint found to date is that of J McEwen. It would appear to date from about 1865 to 1875. So far, he is Tavistock's earliest known photographer.
The Kreh Block was where the known lines of photogs began to park their cameras. William Elliott is noted as having opened up in Kreh's building, opposite Landreth's hotel in July 1891, but local photo history became firmly established with the arrival of J C Sutherland and his Daguerrean Car. Sutherland worked in the village part-time until becoming established and renting his studio. Business must have been good locally as Sutherland gave up his mobility and took up an office in the Kreh Block in 1894.
Thus began a line of local photographers who created what is now called the Lemp Collection.
It's likely that Sutherland moved to the Wildfang Block when it was re-built as a brick building, taking an office on the second floor.
This studio became the Tavistock Photo Studio and held a succession of photographers.
It's seems that Adrian O Murray and John C Sutherland worked in opposition for a short time; but Murray likely bought/inherited the stock from Sutherland, and when Murray gave up photography in 1903, there followed a succession of part-timers who used the same studio, probably as a result of the landlord wishing to take advantage of the already set up studio. This group included DeLaFranier, Becker, Aselstine, Maitland and then Lemp.
The Tavistock Photo Studio name disappeared when John Lemp opened Lemp's Photo Studio, and the continuous string of professional photography ended in Tavistock with its closure.